Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Apple firmware 2.0.2 out

Well, its been rather busy for me these few weeks so I haven't updated this. But for those who were anxiously biting their nails waiting for my verdict on the 2.0.1 firmware, yes its more stable and slightly more responsive than before. If you have used the PwnageTool 2.0.2, you would also get the new Installer.app. However, over the past two weeks I have not seen anything worth installing from there yet. Perhaps there will be, but I have a feeling it will only host tricks such as "Kate", apps that display details relevant for Today (Calendar events, new emails and new SMS). There will also be some of the old hacking tools like OpenSSH etc, but after the simplicity of the AppStore and being able to install anything wirelessly, Installer.app doesn't hold that much interest for me anymore.

Now, word has got out that Apple's released iPhone firmware 2.0.2. What does it do? "Bug Fixes".
There have been various reports on the blogs already about how useful it is. Most seem to agree that it does make the Contacts.app seem abit snappier, not too shabby. Those on 3G also claim that it makes it have better reception.

One important fact for me is that 1st Generation iPhone users can run this update WITHOUT having to wait for PwnageTool to be revised. The iPhone will still be unlocked, but not jailbroken. I only care about unlock as I need to use a local HK SIM card for unlimited EDGE use. Jailbreak doesn't bother me so much now so its not an issue.

Download the update from Apple's servers at
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-5246.20080818.2V0hO/iPhone1,1_2.0.2_5C1_Restore.ipsw . Remember that OSX will download the file as a ZIP file, then usually automatically unzip the contents. To get the actual .IPSW file, you can find it in the Trash bin.

Will try this later this evening and report back later!

No comments: